“…blaming the afflicted for their condition has led to decades of flawed treatment and policy. But the evidence clearly proves that addicts aren’t morally bereft or weak-willed. They’re ill.”
~ David Sheff, Clean: Overcoming Addiction and Ending America’s Greatest Tragedy
When you live in the Seattle, Washington, area and need professional help for an addiction to illicit or prescription drugs, there are four things to keep in mind –
- FIRST, you need that help NOW. Addiction treatment has to be started in a timely manner to prevent relapse or further damage.
- SECOND, that treatment has to be EFFECTIVE for your specific manifestation of the disease of addiction. If you receive inadequate or erroneous, outdated treatment, you jeopardize your successful return to sobriety.
- THIRD, most substance abuse specialists agree that inpatient drug rehab gives you the best chance to get clean, because of the safe, monitored, and immersive nature of the residential treatment.
- FOURTH, the moment you start your search, you will find that you have so many Seattle rehab center options that it becomes TOO much to process.
The question arises in your mind –
“How do I find the Seattle inpatient rehab program that’s right for ME?”
“Our Inpatient Drug Treatment In Edmonds, Washington has helped many overcome their addiction – We take various forms of insurance.”
Tip #1 – Verify Insurance Coverage
It may seem like this is just a formality, but you will save yourself a lot of time and frustration if you take care of this upfront. While it is true that your insurance company is required by law to provide coverage for drug rehab, individual rehabs are NOT required to accept each and every insurance plan.
There are two ways to go about this verification –
- Inquire through your insurance provider.
- Directly ask the Seattle drug rehab centers you are considering if they accept your particular insurance.
By just checking websites and making a few phone calls, you can narrow your search considerably.
Tip #2 – Learn the Terms
When you go to the websites of various Seattle inpatient drug rehab programs, read the descriptions about their treatment approaches. There are certain terms you want to look for –
- “Evidence/Empirically-Based” – This is extremely important. It means they base their treatment strategies on scientifically-verifiable data, rather than someone’s pet theories. Unfortunately, not all treatment programs are evidence-based.
- “Comprehensive” – This means that all of your needs are taken care of, and the only thing you need to do is focus on getting better.
- “Integrative” – This means that all of the services you need to deal with your addictive disorder are handled by or in cooperation with the rehab center. This is important because it means that you will have an entire team of professionals working collaboratively – rather than individually – to restore you to health.
- “Dual diagnosis”/Co-Occurring Disorders – Usually, when a person has any sort of substance abuse disorder, they also have some other diagnosable psychiatric condition – anxiety, depression, PTSD, bipolar disorder, etc. This is referred to as a “dual diagnosis”.
When this is the case, treatment is complicated, because both presenting disorders must be addressed at the same time for recovery to be successful. Make sure that a thorough evaluation by a trained mental health professional is part of their program.
“We treat both addiction and co-occurring disorders and accept many health insurance plans. Take a look at our inpatient program.”
- “Holistic” – While this may sound New Age, it isn’t. In this context, “holistic” means treating the WHOLE person, rather than just a list of symptoms. It means combating the disease of addiction on multiple levels:
- The best inpatient drug rehab programs in Seattle will include holistic options that, while perhaps outside of “mainstream” science, have still proven to be beneficial by numerous studies –
- Art/Poetry therapy
- Pet/Equine therapy
- “Aftercare” – This refers to the availability of support services after you have completed a stint in residential rehab. Unfortunately, inpatient drug treatment isn’t a magic panacea that will cure you of your addiction forever. It doesn’t work that way. From time to time, you WILL need a “tune-up”.
“Get your loved one the help they need. Our substance use disorder program accepts many health insurance plans, this is our residential program.”
Tip #3 – Tour Your Local Seattle Inpatient Drug Rehab Facility
If you’re just looking in the local Seattle area, it should be relatively simple to set up a guided tour of the rehab center. Why is this so important?
- You get to meet some of the staff – Your level of comfort with the people who are going to be caring for you and providing services for you the next several weeks/months will go a long way towards ensuring that you successfully complete the program.
- You get to see the facilities/amenities – Again, your comfort will matter. You want to be sure that the environment is bright, positive, and physically comfortable.
- You may get to meet others in different stages of recovery – Meeting and talking with someone currently enrolled in the program you’re considering will help you more accurately gauge the experience. You can hear people give their own unfiltered opinions as to the program’s effectiveness.
In the end, all it takes to find a premier alcohol and drug treatment center in Seattle is a little homework and possibly, legwork. But when you put in just a little effort, you will be able to find the program that is right for you, and you will start laying the foundation upon which you can build.