Addiction is an equal opportunity issue; anyone can fall into the grip of substance use disorder no matter their economic standing, social status, age, or gender. While there are widespread increases in substance use disorders across the board, the number of men who struggle with addiction to alcohol or drugs continues to increase staggeringly. Thankfully, options for addiction treatment for men continue to grow as well.
Millions of men report misuse of drugs or alcohol. While men are more likely to develop addiction or substance abuse problems, they are more likely to seek help with addiction than women. Northpoint Washington drug and alcohol rehab can help those seeking detox, rehab, and mental health care find hope and get a solid start for establishing healthy habits. Our addiction treatment for men specifically works to meet the challenges and underlying causes of addiction. Find out more about our professional addiction and mental health treatment programs and how you can establish your road to recovery now by calling 425.437.3298.
The Importance of Men’s Mental Health Care
Mental health care is often overlooked in the midst of addiction treatment for men. Mental health issues often co-occur with substance use disorder, and men are more likely to experience depression and anxiety than women.
Some of the commonly co-occurring disorders many men struggle with include:
- Depression – A mood disorder characterized by irritability, low self-esteem, and feelings of hopelessness
- Anxiety – Disordered feelings of fear or worry that can interfere with daily life functioning
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – An emotional disorder caused by experiencing or witnessing a traumatic event
- Bipolar disorder – A mood disorder characterized by extreme changes in emotional states
Making mental health care available to men facing addiction gives them the best chance of making a lasting recovery.
Signs of a Substance Use Disorder
Recognizing a substance use disorder is critical to getting the right help at the right time. Symptoms of a substance use disorder may include:
- Unsuccessful attempts to limit or stop the use of the substance
- A desire to control cravings for the substance
- Excessive focus on obtaining and using the substance
- Using substances more often than intended, despite problems it causes
- The ongoing need to use more of the substance to achieve the same effect
- There is a negative impact on relationships due to substance use
- Substance use interferes with daily life
- Symptoms of withdrawal when stopping substance use
Research shows that men and women often use and respond to drugs differently. Because of their general body composition and metabolism, it typically takes more of the drug or substance to lead to intoxication in men. As a result, it tends to take longer to develop an addiction to substances in men than in women.
Benefits of Gender-Specific Addiction Treatment Programs
Gender-specific addiction treatments can help create an environment with a focus on the particular issues and challenges men face when seeking recovery. Some of these unique social challenges include:
- A culture of shame surrounding mental health care and addiction treatment
- Difficulty expressing emotions and seeking help for mental health issues
- An emphasis on machismo that leads to feelings of inadequacy in recovery settings
- Expectations around breadwinning and self-sufficiency that can be difficult to fulfill while in treatment
Addiction treatment for men provides them with the opportunity to receive individualized care in a safe and supportive space without feeling judged or ashamed for seeking help. Group therapy is one of the most important aspects of gender-specific care. A sense of camaraderie and shared experience can help men understand that they are not alone and do have support for the road ahead.
Northpoint Washington Offers Rehabilitation for Men
If you suspect you or a loved one has a substance use disorder, there are ways to help confirm it. Northpoint Washington provides comprehensive intake assessments to understand our patients’ substance use, medical histories, and goals in recovery. Our treatment programs and services include:
- Alcohol detox
- Drug rehab
- Medical detox
- Dual diagnosis
- Holistic treatment
- One-on-one counseling
- Group therapy
- Strengths-based therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
Our treatment center is committed to providing support and healing for our clients, leading to long-term recovery.
Start Addiction Treatment at Northpoint Washington
At Northpoint Washington, we recognize the struggle men face in seeking the proper treatment. While our gender-specific treatment plans provide spaces for men to enter recovery, we are an inclusive treatment center. All people, regardless of gender, race, or identity, should have access to quality addiction treatment.
If you or someone you care about needs help, contact us to learn how our addiction treatment could help. Call the compassionate staff at Northpoint Washington today at 425.437.3298 for more information.