You made it through drug and alcohol rehab in Edmonds, Washington — now what? Getting sober under the supervision of a team of caring professionals is one thing; staying sober once you return home is another. The old stressors — a demanding boss, gossipy coworkers, and the usual family problems — can have you quickly reaching for self-medication once again.
At Northpoint Washington, we understand that recovery is a lifelong journey. Our addiction treatment programs are designed to prepare you for life on the outside so you have the best chance of staying sober. By helping you work through the root causes of addiction and developing a relapse prevention plan, you will leave our facility with confidence and a new lease on life. Call us today at 425.437.3298 to learn more about how we prepare you for a sober lifestyle.
How to Enjoy Life After Rehab
Life after rehab does not mean you cannot have fun anymore — it just means that the way you have fun may need to change. Parties, clubs, bars, and other drug- or alcohol-infused celebrations will need to end for you to stay sober for the long term. However, there are plenty of activities that can replace these. Here are some ideas for enjoying life after rehab:
- Join sober support groups. You can receive peer support and develop new friendships while enjoying sober activities. Since you may need to re-evaluate your friendships with people who continue using drugs or alcohol, it is recommended that you start meeting new people who are focused on recovery.
- Explore new places to hang out. If you used to frequent bars or restaurants, it would be beneficial to find different places to spend your time, particularly those that do not serve alcohol.
- Take up new hobbies. For many people struggling with addiction, social activities typically involve substance use. Some people also start pulling back from group activities altogether and isolate themselves. Finding a new hobby can help you enjoy life after rehab without drugs or alcohol. It can also help reduce the boredom that may tempt you to use.
There are plenty of other options for sober activities, so keep an open mind and try many new things to help you discover more ways to enjoy a sober lifestyle. You may even find that you get more enjoyment from activities when your mind is clear and focused.
Tips for Staying Sober After Rehab
Once you walk out the doors of inpatient rehab, there is plenty more work to maintain your sobriety. You will no longer have 24/7 monitoring, so you need to be ready to utilize what you learned during treatment to help you avoid temptation. Here are some tips to help you stay sober after rehab:
- Consider an aftercare program. Support for recovery does not have to stop after you complete an inpatient program. Many treatment centers offer long-term help through aftercare programs that can run for several months up to a year.
- Enroll in therapy. Individual counseling is always highly recommended when you are in recovery. Family therapy can also be a valuable resource if there is some unresolved tension in the household.
- Practice stress management. Preventing stress from building up is one of the most important ways to maintain your sobriety. Yoga, tai chi, breathing exercises, and meditation are excellent methods for calming the mind and body. Try different techniques to find which works best for you.
The above suggestions can be a part of your relapse prevention plan to help you stay sober. Working with addiction treatment staff on your post-treatment plan can help prepare you for potential triggers and temptations.
Northpoint Washington: Quality Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Edmonds, Washington
Northpoint Washington’s drug and alcohol rehab programs are designed with long-term sobriety in mind. Staying sober after rehab is easier when you receive comprehensive treatment that addresses the whole person. Individual, group and family therapy will help you cultivate a strong support system and develop the coping skills needed to navigate sober living. Reach out to us today at 425.437.3298 to schedule an assessment and begin your journey to recovery. And if you are interested in an aftercare program once you complete inpatient treatment at our facility, we can provide you with referrals.